User login

Sign in with Facebook
Sign in using Facebook

Community Aged Care Packages (CACP)

Community aged care packages help people with high level care needs stay in the comfort of their own home for longer.

Community Aged Care Packages (CACP) help ageing people with more complex health care needs receive care at home.

In this article:


Who can benefit from a Community Aged Care Package?

If you are caring for an ageing family member who requires more than general assistance at home, a Community Aged Care Package (CACP) could be of help.

CACP are ideal for ageing people with complex care needs who would prefer to remain at home rather than move into low level residential aged care.

Nursing care is individualised and packaged according to an individual's care needs. A case manager determines the level of care required based on an aged care assessment.

Community Aged Care Packages only provide a limited amount of hours of care per week. Family and carers play a key role in filling in the gaps. 


What kind of care does a Community Aged Care Package offer?

A number of different services are arranged to help the person at home. These can be adjusted over time if the level of care changes and a person's situation needs reviewing.

A package of care could include the following services:

  • Personal hygiene, bathing and dressing
  • Medication
  • Access to social activities and days out
  • Meal preparation
  • Transport to medical appointments
  • Laundry
  • Continence help
  • In-home respite care 


How can I access a Community Aged Care Package?

Community Aged Care Packages are funded by the government. Service providers are given a subsidy to coordinate and package home care services for ageing people. A number of organisations or services can make up a package.

To access a CACP an older person must have been assessed as needing a certain level of care. An assessment is carried out by an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) or (ACAS) in Victoria.

If you are caring for someone who you feel is in need of care at home, contact an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT). ACAT will visit your family member at home and determine care needs in consultation with family and other carers.

ACAT are located at most hospitals. You can contact them directly or talk to a doctor.

There may be a waiting period for a CACP. Service providers will charge a fee agreed upon by you and the service provider. 


Can a person with high level care needs receive care at home?

An Extended Aged Care at Home (EACH) package aims to provide high-level care at home when normally the person would need to go into a residential aged care home.
An Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) must have approved a person for requiring high-level care.

ACAT will discuss a person's care needs with service providers and family and whether an EACH package would be suitable.

On approval a care plan will be devised incorporating all the services a person needs based on individual care needs.

Home care services could include:

  • Help with personal hygiene and dressing
  • Assistance with meals
  • Home modification, equipment and maintenance
  • Allied health services such as podiatry and physiotherapy
  • Continence management
  • Social and emotional support

The cost of these services will vary. There is often a government subsidy but you will be required to contribute toward the cost. 


How can I care for someone with dementia at home?

An Extended Aged Care at Home Dementia (EACH D) Package supports carers looking after someone with dementia. In particular the package assists with managing dementia behaviours at home.

This package can give much-needed support and guidance to people caring for someone with dementia at home.

An Aged Care Assessment (ACAT) is required to access this service.

Home care can be provided in the way of:

  • Help managing dementia behaviour
  • Personal care including showering, bathing, toileting
  • Continence management for people with bowel and bladder problems
  • Access to day care respite services to give carers a break 


Getting help with Community Aged Care Packages

  • Organise an aged care assessment with the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT). Anyone can make a referral to be seen by an aged care assessment team. Talk to your doctor or call them directly at your local hospital. A member of the ACAT team will visit a person at home. There are no fees but long waiting lists in some areas.
  • Ring the Commonwealth Carelink Centre on 1800 200 422 for assistance to locate services in your area.


Related articles